Rancho Cordova Mold Removal
This is a photo of just some of the wet insulation we had to remove from a job site! No one works harder than our technicians!
Why is mold growing in my home?
Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.
If you already have a mold problem – ACT QUICKLY. Mold damages what it grows on. The longer it grows, the more damage it can cause.
If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, in most cases mold will not grow.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- Keep indoor humidity low. If possible, keep indoor humidity below 60 percent (ideally between 30 and 50 percent) relative humidity. Relative humidity can be measured with a moisture or humidity meter, a small, inexpensive ($10-$50) instrument available at many hardware stores.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes - ACT QUICKLY to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
Actions that will help to reduce humidity:
- Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside where possible. (Combustion appliances such as stoves and kerosene heaters produce water vapor and will increase the humidity unless vented to the outside.)
- Use air conditioners and/or de-humidifiers when needed.
- Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering. Use exhaust fans or open windows whenever cooking, running the dishwasher or dishwashing, etc.
Actions that will help prevent condensation:
- Reduce the humidity
- Increase ventilation or air movement by opening doors and/or windows, when practical. Use fans as needed.
- Cover cold surfaces, such as cold water pipes, with insulation.
- Increase air temperature.
If you have mold in your Sacramento or Rancho Cordova home, it is important to resolve the issue before it starts.
Call SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade at 916-285-7247 to get started on an estimate today.
Sacramento Air Duct Cleaning
We clean ducts with the brand new state of the art PDC 4000 machine.
Air Duct cleaning can be an important way to improve the indoor air quality of your home or commercial building.
The National Air Duct Cleaning Association (NADCA) gives some basic information on their website:
In addition to normal accumulations of dust and dirt found in all homes with air ducts, there are several other factors that can increase the need for regular HVAC system cleaning:
Some occupants are more sensitive to these contaminants than others. Allergy and asthma sufferers, as well as young children and the elderly tend to be more susceptible to the types of poor indoor air quality that air duct cleaning can help address.
Avoid the Scams:
Air Duct cleaning should be done by professional with professional equipment. NADCA also gives some great tips on preventing yourself from being scammed by poor air duct cleaning.
If you would like to discuss having your ducts cleaned, give SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade a call at 916-285-7257.
The Biology of Mold
When water collected underneath this sink, it was not dried properly and resulted in mold growth.
Mold is a fungus and classed as a saprophyte, which means that most types find nutrients by decomposing organic matter. There are over 100,000 types of mold that exist within nature.
Why Use Containment?
Starting as a tiny spore, mold begins in a cluster that contains thousands and thousands of spores. When something disrupts the spore mass, thousands of mold spores are set free, until they settle. Therefore it is important to have mold containment. During the process of cleaning and removing moldy materials, SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade sets up plastic barriers to avoid spreading these tiny spores to clean areas of the structure.
What Can Make Fungi and Molds Harmful?
Mycotoxins are secondary metabolites produced by microfungi that can cause health effects. Mycotoxins can be found attached to mold spores and fragments of mold.
At first, you cannot see mold spores. Disturbances of mold can cause spores to mass aerosolize, releasing thousands of spores into the air and you cannot see which materials are affected by these settled spores.
How Can I Prevent Mold Growth?
A fast response to water damage is of the utmost importance when trying to prevent mold growth. Any and all structures that have been damaged by water have the potential to grow mold. In order to prevent mold growth, you should keep good ventilation of your home, keep a dry environment, and the use of fungicides and biocides.
SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade specializes in mold remediation.
If you've seen the signs of mold growth in your home, call us at 916-285-7257!
5 Principles of Mold Remediation
This photo is of a home that experienced water damage that was left untreated, causing mold growth.
Principle 1: Safety and Health
Here at SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade, our top priority is the safety of our customers and employees when doing any form of remediation. Our technicians are trained to use engineering controls such as controlled demolition and source containment. They also use plastic containment to keep themselves and the rest of the structure from being contaminated further. The use of Personal Protective Equipment is also necessary for the safety of whomever enters the containment due to health concerns. Technicians are also trained by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration (IICRC) to follow OSHA standards.
Principle 2: Project Documentation
Our technicians take documentation before, during, and after remediation. This is using pictures, written statements, and taking measurements. Our team here at SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade prides ourselves in taking accountability of our actions through project documentation.
Principle 3: Control Contaminant at its Source
Containment is used to control mold at its source. It also minimizes dust and debris during demolition. We also use large fans, called air filtration devices (AFD), to circulate air through a filtered system while performing mold remediation. Any airborne contaminants and particles are removed through a series of filters.
Principle 4: Removal of Contaminant
The removal of mold from a structure begins with disposing of any porous materials contaminated extensively with mold and physically removing the mold from the structure. Our technicians then clean mold from nonporous materials and HEPA vacuum all surfaces.
Principle 5: Prevent Further Contamination by Correcting Moisture Problem
Our team at SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade are trained to identify and correct any moisture problems that may contribute to mold. They also would dry the structure now if it was still wet from a water loss.
SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade technicians are trained extensively in mold remediation to keep you and your family safe during mitigation. If you have found mold in your home, give us a call at 916-285-7257. We are always here to help.
Sacramento Mold Removal
A vacant home in Sacramento had a leak in the ceiling of this closet, causing mold to grow within a few weeks.
Molds and fungi are found throughout nature. Some molds, like penicillin, are useful and can be helpful in our lives, while other forms of mold can be very harmful. Excessive amounts of mold, specific types of mold, and over exposure to mold can present health concerns for some people such as runny nose, sneezing, coughing, aggravation of asthma, sore throat, or inflammation of sinuses.
Molds need four things to survive: organic material for a food source, warmth, oxygen, and moisture. When water damages occur, it presents moisture into the environment. If this water damage isn’t addressed right away, then the resulting damage can present increased risk of harmful mold growth.
Do you think your home or business might have mold? Here’s what to be alert for:
- The presence of visible mold
- Strong musty odors, which may indicate mold presence
- Any evidence of past moisture problems which may have caused undetected mold growth
- Excessive humidity
SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade professionals care about proper restoration of your structure and, in most water damage situations, can safely restore your building to preloss condition.
Sacramento Mold Removal
This is a door that was completely saturated by water damage. After being left for several weeks, mold developed and the door needed removal.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 916-285-7257
Apartment Water Damage
In this photo, our technician Daniel is wearing personal protective equipment before cleaning a contaminated bathroom in an apartment building.
In Sacramento and other areas in the valley, rain is a part of life. Being that we are surrounded by two large rivers, flooding can happen easily from weather, let alone all the ways that flooding can happen internally. (From blown water heaters, to burst pipes, we have seen it all!) When you are a landlord or a tenant when water damage hits, you may not know where to turn. It is important to know your rights in this situation.
If you are a property manager or landlord...
It is your responsibility to make sure that your property is habitable by its occupants. Water damage can easily lead to situations that are dangerous for the tenants’ health. If it is too dangerous to stay, then you must find them somewhere to live while work is being done. According to California Civil Code section 1941, the landlord is responsible for providing tenants with habitable living conditions and repair any problem that makes the property uninhabitable, including water damage, with the exception of problems caused by the tenant, guests, children, or pets.
Your property manager should be able to help you dry out the water from the building, although they are not required to cover the loss or damage of your personal items. Review your rental agreement carefully to determine who is responsible for your repairs. Hopefully, you have renter’s insurance, and your policy can cover the loss of any personal items damaged by water damage.
Preparation is Key
Water damage is every renter’s and property manager’s nightmare. It is best to know what to expect and how to protect yourself if it occurs. Having a relationship with a water restoration company can save your property more quickly, and SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade is offering free Emergency Ready Plans for the upcoming year. Don’t let water damage take control of your life. Give us a call today at 916-285-7257.
If you have water damage in your apartment building, don’t hesitate. Give the pros a call today.
Click here to see tips on minimizing damage in apartment residences.
Immediate Fire Restoration
In this hallway of a Sacramento home, you can see the soot buildup from a fire on the sides of the walls. Everything in this home was cleaned.
When your home or business is affected by fire damage, the aftermath is overwhelming, but if the restoration is postponed, the destruction from smoke damage will worsen. Whenever a fire damage occurs, firefighting efforts may cause water damage on the site as well. The longer you wait to assess this damage, the more repairs you will need to fix – which may be reflected in your bill for damages when all is said and done. To avoid costly repairs and long-term issues, it is important to make fire damage restoration a priority in order to get your home back to normal as soon as possible.
One of the most important steps to take when dealing with fire restoration is to find a quality fire restoration services that can help you assess the damage, give you an estimate on costs and start the clean up process. It is important to contact your home insurance company to make them aware of the fire and they may provide you with referrals for reliable restoration companies in your area. It is pivotal to enlist the help of a licensed and insured fire damage restoration company to prevent further damage to your home. Most restoration companies are trained extensively to handle this type of damage and many will perform some of the following steps to help you through the initial fire cleanup.
- Smoke and fire damage restoration services will try to save as many of your home and personal belongings (such as appliances, furniture and clothing) as they can.
- Document everything they remove from your home by taking pictures and/or keeping written records.
- Return any salvageable furniture and appliances back to your home, after the fire restoration is complete.
- Work quickly and carefully to get you back in your home as soon as possible, and stay in contact with you to make sure the repairs were done correctly and your home isn't experiencing any other problems.
Be sure to go through your home insurance company when hiring a fire damage restoration service, or do a thorough background check if you choose one on your own to make sure they are licensed and insured. Be wary of “fire chasing” contractors who target victims of house fires and pressure them into signing expensive repair contracts, perform extremely low-quality repair work and might not be licensed or insured.
While it is so important to have a qualified restoration company to handle your smoke damage restoration, there are some things that you can do to minimize the initial damage before professionals arrive. If it is possible to enter your house, make sure you’re wearing work gloves, long sleeves/pants, and proper respiratory protection, such as a N95+ mask because exposure to soot can cause respiratory problems and other medical issues.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil our home.
- Place dry towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and high traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odors.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- Wash both sides of leaves on house plants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of HVAC system.
If your home has been affected by fire or smoke damage, SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden-Arcade has licensed, background checked technicians with a wealth of knowledge ready to help you out. To get an estimate, give us a call at 916-285-7257.
Water Damage Sacramento
A photo of one of our technicians, Marvin, in personal protective equipment before going into the attic of a Sacramento home.
5 Principles of Water Damage
SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden-Arcade believes in effective water restoration, in fact it is the cornerstone of our business. The water restoration industry describes the process of drying wet building materials and contents in five fundamental principles, which is determined by the IICRC (Institute of Inspection cleaning and Restoration Certification). Our technicians receive classes from the IICRC to learn to apply these principles effectively, so that our restorers can respond promptly whenever water intrudes in a building.
Principle 1: Safety
On a SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden-Arcade worksite, safety is every single technician’s main responsibility. A primary concern of water damage is that our restorers make an effort to inform and protect the occupants at all costs from whatever safety issues may arise during a project.
Principle 2: Document conditions and work procedures
Our team has come to the realization that communication is so important to the restoration business. From talking with the building’s occupants with the observations to help define the nature of the water damage. This information is then gathered from this initial inspection and documented and used by their insurance company to plan the necessary emergency procedures.
Our restorers are constantly conducting ongoing inspections while on site to measure the moisture contents inside the building in materials affected by the water. When the structure is considered dry again, restorers must conduct a final inspection.
Principle 3: Mitigation
A concern the restorer’s will have on a water damage site is to prevent any further damages caused by water to become worse. Effective mitigation of a water intrusion will reduce the amount of damage a property suffers and will also reduce the cost of restoring the property to its condition before the loss.
The main goal of mitigation is to control the moisture and contamination. The restorer will check for the source of the moisture problems in the building. This source of moisture or water needs to be stopped or drying will not be successful. The building owner is responsible for correcting the source of the water intrusion, but SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden-Arcade will assist in identifying the source.
Principle 4: Drying
SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade’s main task is to reduce the time that building materials are excessively wet. The faster we can return your items to a dry condition, the less damage will result. The drying process includes these procedures:
- Removing excess water through:
- Enhance evaporation of moisture
- Remove water vapor by dehumidification or ventilation
- Control temperature to enhance moisture removal
Once our technicians can confirm that the moisture content of the structure and contents have reached their drying goals, the drying services our done. Now you can begin your restoration services. Now it is time to perform any repairs and cleaning tasks needed to return the property to its preloss conditions.
In rain or shine, SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden-Arcade can help you return your property back to normal. We are always here to help. Give us a call today at 916-285-7257.
Water Damage Equipment
From left to right: a desiccant dehumidifier, and two air movers
Our team at SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade understands how pivotal the proper equipment is to lessening the cost of a water damage. While speed is important to reducing the resulting damage, technology and equipment are essential to dry the structure. SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade technicians are prepared to answer your call quickly and use their state-of-the-art-equipment to help dry a structure and personal property efficiently.
Using psychrometry, the study of the air and it’s properties, SERVPRO has developed professional equipment that measures and utilizes the properties of temperature, humidity, vapor pressure, and dew point to evaluate the air conditions in the structure. SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade professionals are taught to use these numbers to create a proper atmosphere for effective drying. Restoration professionals are taught to manipulate temperature and humidity levels to produce prime drying conditions without causing secondary damage through improper drying processes.
When SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade professionals are first at your property, they will perform a scope, which involves locating the areas of the structure affected by water damage and defining the extent to which the structure and contents have absorbed moisture. Our technicians use moisture detection devices that are also used to verify an environment has been dried thoroughly.
- Moisture meters are instruments that is used to detect the moisture content in materials. Our moisture meters test moisture readings that enable our technicians to monitor the drying process.
- Moisture Sensors are instruments designed to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards, and walls.
- Thermo-hygrometers are used to measure temperature and relative humidity. SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade professionals use this tool to create a psychrometric chart to calculate specific humidity, dew point, and vapor pressure.
When drying a structure, many tools are used to remove water from materials and provide mitigation services. Our SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade technicians are taught through the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), the standard setting non-profit organization that provides training for restoration technicians, to use psychometrics to dry a structure in the best way.
- Extractors are used to remove water from floors after a water damage. Extractors can be truck mounted or portable, weighted or handheld. The best way to respond quickly to a water damage is through extraction.
- Air Movers are used in water damage restoration to enhance evaporation at the surface level to reduce drying time. When the airflow to the surface increases, the moisture in the air increases. The moisture is then eliminated from the air using dehumidifiers.
- Dehumidifiers are used to lower the relative humidity to increase the rate of evaporation. Dehumidifiers pull in the moist, humid air and discharging dry, warm air. This dry air acts like a sponge, absorbing moisture from wet materials. The two types of dehumidifiers are:
- Refrigerant – work similarly to air conditioners
- Desiccant – use chemicals to absorb moisture through the air
SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade uses quality equipment to help dry your structure every time. Call us at 916-285-7257 for a no-cost assessment of your property.