How to Make an Emergency Preparedness Kit
It is always important to be prepared for the worst!
Between hurricanes and earthquakes and fires, the amount of natural disasters that have been occurring left and right has been dizzying. While our team here at SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden Arcade offers free services for businesses to create an Emergency Preparedness Profile, we wanted to highlight important basic items you might need if you and your family happened to be caught in a natural disaster.
You never know when disaster might strike—Don’t let it catch you off guard.
With help from Ready.gov, we were able to compile a list of important things that even can save your life in the event of an emergency. Be sure to remember specific things that your family might need, like medications, epi-pens, and even pet food!
Assembling Your Kit
When you assembler your kit, make sure to store items in airtight plastic bags and keeping everything in plastic bins. This makes them easy to carry, and easily accessible.
A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:
- Water - one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food - at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
Additional Emergency Supplies
Consider adding the following items to your emergency supply kit based on your individual needs:
- Prescription medications
- Non-prescription medications such as pain relievers, anti-diarrhea medication, antacids or laxatives
- Glasses and contact lense solution
- Infant formula, bottles, diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Cash or traveler's checks
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records saved electronically or in a waterproof, portable container
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person
- Complete change of clothing appropriate for your climate and sturdy shoes
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper to disinfect water
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates, paper towels and plastic utensils
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
Maintaining Your Kit
After assembling your kit remember to maintain it so it’s ready when needed:
- Keep canned food in a cool, dry place
- Store boxed food in tightly closed plastic or metal containers
- Replace expired items as needed
- Re-think your needs every year and update your kit as your family’s needs change.
Kit Storage Locations
Since you do not know where you will be when an emergency occurs, prepare supplies for home, work and vehicles.
If you find yourself the victim of disaster, give us a call at 916-285-7257.
Our team here at SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade is committed to serve you and your family to make it as easy as possible to recover after disaster strikes.
Elk Grove Fire Cleanup
Fire damage can cause absolute devastation, so we are there to help you when you need it most.
Fires. One of nature's most destructive processes. Fires are useful, they allow us to do things like cook food and drive cars when controlled. But if they are left for one second in an uncontrolled environment, fires cause immense devastation. So much devastation that there is a whole industry that revolves around the reparations from damage caused by fires.
- Dry smoke residue is caused by high heat, fast burning fires fueled by wood and paper. This is what you usually think of when you imagine ash and soot--powdery and dry. The fine powder is often simpler to clean since it is easy to wipe off. However, it can fall into cracks and porous surfaces, and while the soot may be hidden from view, the smell will remain.
- Wet smoke residue is caused by low-heat, slow-burning fires from burning plastic or rubber. This black smoke leaves behind an often thick and sticky residue with a strong odor. Wet smoke residue smears easily, which often makes cleanup more difficult.
- Protein residue is left behind after the evaporation of organic material, usually food. The residue is almost invisible. However, it discolors varnishes, paints, and finishes. It also gives off a strong, offensive odor.
- Water damage can be caused by any relief efforts to put out the fires. The water can be introduced through firefighting or smoke detecting water sprinklers. It is so important to dry out the structure as well, because if it is left unattended mold will grow.
It is so important to remediate as soon as possible in order to prevent secondary damage, whether that be mold damage or ash that set into the structure.
Let SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden Arcade help you out. We have trained technicians that are available 24/7 for your restoration needs. Give us a call at 916-285-7257 for a free estimate today.
Cupping and Crowning in Hardwood
This floor is cupping due to a recent water damage.
Wood naturally contains moisture, although the porous nature of wood will cause it to absorb more moisture when it encounters water. The nature of wood causes it to expand when it absorbs this excess moisture, and sometimes the wood can warp. These expanded boards may push against each other and buckle where the boards meet and may become permanent after the wood dries. Floors must be replaced if proper drying and refinishing cannot remove the damage.
Cupping and Crowning
Cupping occurs when water is absorbed from the sides and bottom of the wood. This normally happens when water pools underneath the wood during a water loss. The edges will slightly raise or “cup.” Cupping can often be sanded out.
Crowning occurs when the top of the wood holds more moisture than the sides and the bottom of the wood. This makes the wood arch or create a bowed shape in the middle. Most of the time you cannot sand out crowned flooring.
What to do?
Water on hardwood floors should be extracted immediately to prevent further damage. Wet carpets and pads over hardwood floors should be removed. Finished wood flooring may sometimes return to its original shape and be restored. It is important to utilize proper drying techniques with air movers and dehumidifiers to give the best conditions for restoration.
If your hardwood floors have been affected by water damage, give the pros a call at 916-285-7257! We would be happy to check it out for you.
Note: Only hardwood floors affected by clean water should be restored. If your hardwood floor was affected by contaminated water, it should be removed by a professional. For more information on what to do when your home is damaged by contaminated water, click here.
COVID-19 Cleaning Sacramento
When you choose SERVPRO, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard.
Being open for business is just the beginning of our new journey forward. Employees may be hesitant to return to work and customers may wonder whether the businesses they patronize are safe. The COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean. Are you ready to communicate to your customers and employees that you’ve chosen a higher standard of clean for all Americans? Are you ready to be Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned?
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program that SERVPRO offers to commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 global pandemic. This is a level of clean that goes far beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. This is proactive viral pathogen cleaning. When you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard. As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration, we stand on over 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Tennessee, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will help ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy begins to reopen. When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. Expertise born out of cleaning up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects the unique experiences and capabilities of America’s #1 clean-up and restoration brand.
Sacramento Water Damage Restorers
This equipment is set up in an optimal position to increase drying.
Our team at SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade understands how pivotal the proper equipment is to lessening the cost of a water damage. While speed is important to reducing the resulting damage, technology and equipment are essential to dry the structure. SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade technicians are prepared to answer your call quickly and use their state-of-the-art-equipment to help dry a structure and personal property efficiently.
Using psychrometry, the study of the air and it’s properties, SERVPRO has developed professional equipment that measures and utilizes the properties of temperature, humidity, vapor pressure, and dew point to evaluate the air conditions in the structure. SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade professionals are taught to use these numbers to create a proper atmosphere for effective drying. Restoration professionals are taught to manipulate temperature and humidity levels to produce prime drying conditions without causing secondary damage through improper drying processes.
When SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade professionals are first at your property, they will perform a scope, which involves locating the areas of the structure affected by water damage and defining the extent to which the structure and contents have absorbed moisture. Our technicians use moisture detection devices that are also used to verify an environment has been dried thoroughly.
- Moisture meters are instruments that is used to detect the moisture content in materials. Our moisture meters test moisture readings that enable our technicians to monitor the drying process.
- Moisture Sensors are instruments designed to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards, and walls.
- Thermo-hygrometers are used to measure temperature and relative humidity. SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade professionals use this tool to create a psychrometric chart to calculate specific humidity, dew point, and vapor pressure.
When drying a structure, many tools are used to remove water from materials and provide mitigation services. Our SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade technicians are taught through the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), the standard setting non-profit organization that provides training for restoration technicians, to use psychometrics to dry a structure in the best way.
- Extractors are used to remove water from floors after a water damage. Extractors can be truck mounted or portable, weighted or handheld. The best way to respond quickly to a water damage is through extraction.
- Air Movers are used in water damage restoration to enhance evaporation at the surface level to reduce drying time. When the airflow to the surface increases, the moisture in the air increases. The moisture is then eliminated from the air using dehumidifiers.
- Dehumidifiers are used to lower the relative humidity to increase the rate of evaporation. Dehumidifiers pull in the moist, humid air and discharging dry, warm air. This dry air acts like a sponge, absorbing moisture from wet materials. The two types of dehumidifiers are:
- Refrigerant – work similarly to air conditioners
- Desiccant – use chemicals to absorb moisture through the air
SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden Arcade uses quality equipment to help dry your structure every time. Call us at 916-285-7257 for a no-cost assessment of your property.
SERVPRO in the News! COVID-19 Cleaning
SERVPRO disinfecting services to slow the spread of COVID-19
SERVPRO is known for helping with restoration for things like floods and fires. It has another service to help businesses minimize their risk for COVID-19. It is usually called in response to disasters, now people are calling to prevent them with its disinfecting services.
Following a positive test for COVID-19, the experts will go in with gloves, respirators and tyvek suits and deep clean the entire building.
"We've got the experience, the technique, the products, everything that we can use to combat this problem," David Miller, owner of SERVPRO of South West Lubbock said.
Water damage and fires are still occurring, so we have to respond to that, just taking safety measures as we go out, asking questions, if there's any issues in the home or business, but things are still happening out there," Miller said.
The C.D.C. and SERVPRO encourage you to clean and disinfect counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, phones, tablets, and fixtures.
Water Damage FAQ
When a water damage occurs in your place of business, you may feel confusion and frustration. There seems like there is so much to do, and there are so many questions you might have! Here at SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden-Arcade, we have heard it all. In this blog post, we hope to outline a couple questions you might have as a business owner or homeowner that has experienced water damage.
Q: What happens when my business takes on water damage?
A: When water contacts drywall, it sags and disintegrates. Then you’ll see paint bubbles and peeling as the water wicks up the drywall. After that, water saturates the insulation behind the drywall.
If water dwells in your property for any length of time, wood structures begins to swell. The glue holding your particle board kitchen and bathroom cabinets dissolves, causing them to crumble. The longer the water dwells in your property, the more likely it is that the hardwood floors will buckle and warp. Wood exposed to long-term water damage rots.
Water-soaked carpets “delaminate.” Delamination is the term for carpet that pulls away from its backing. Once this happens, the carpet is permanently ruined.
Water damage can short-out electrical systems. This can cause fire and shock hazards and damage to electronic equipment.
To see some photos of water damage to homes and businesses, click here!
Q: Why is water damage dangerous?
A: There are multiple types of water damage, that differ in intensity based on the amount of contaminants. Floodwater that comes from outside and from sewage backups contains dangerous contaminants like viruses and bacteria.
If water is left standing or saturated in a structure for 24-48 hours, structural damage and mold growth can ensue. Even water leaks that infiltrate your home slowly can cause damage to the building and lead to mold growth. Mold left unchecked will spread quickly through the home.
Q: How much does it take to restore my home or business?
A: It all depends on the size and scope of the loss. Completely drying a structure depends on the type of water damage, how bad it was, how long the water dwelled, and the type of building materials involved. In most cases, our goal to dry out water damage to a home or business is around 2 to 3 days. However, properties exposed to water damage for a long time will take longer to dry!
Q: Do I have to close my place of business during reconstruction and demolition?
A: If the property damage doesn’t require a lot of reconstruction, you can stay in your home or office.
However, the equipment we use during the drying process can be noisy. It also creates a lot of air movement which may be considered as unlivable or unworkable conditions.
If the bathrooms in your office, or the kitchen in your home are a part of the damaged area, check with your insurance company for reimbursement of alternate living expenses or business continuity expenses until the restoration job is complete.
Q: Should I ever turn off the equipment?
A: No! If it is off, it isn’t working! The specialized equipment works through duration of time, and our it is made to run continuously without overheating or causing safety problems. Remember, we position the equipment in a particular way to promote the drying process. Please don’t move it.
Since we know the noise might be problematic, we often suggest you call your insurance agent to see if your policy covers alternate living expenses or business continuity expenses.
Q: Can water damage be prevented?
A: When a water damage is an act of nature—there is not a lot you can do. Flooding happens, disasters happen, but not as often as it seems. While flooding is a frequent cause of water damage, most water damage is due to indoor plumbing failure. To prevent water damage, the key is regular maintenance and inspections of the following:
- Check your appliances (e.g., dishwasher, clothes washer, and water heater) to assure they are all in good working order. Check all water connections and hoses. Remember to do this even if you have the metal braided supply hoses.
- Check under your sinks for signs of corrosion and make sure connections are tight.
- Check the toilets in each bathroom for any signs of leaking.
- Monitor your water bills. A sudden, unexplained increase in water use can be caused by a leak.
- Finally, make sure everyone knows how and where to shut off the water to the property. If you ever are out of business for a significant amount of time—shut off the water. Some of the worst damages we have seen are when residents are out of town.
There’s never a convenient time for flooding or water damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
Water Damage or Flooding? Call Us Today (916) 285-7257
We have not stopped responding to fire and water damage!
SERVPRO is being called on by numerous business and community leaders to perform the necessary bio-remediation services to clean, disinfect, and sanit
I hope that you, your family, staff, and friends are all safe through this unprecedented pandemic. I know that the coronavirus and COVID-19 has impacted all of us in some form and has affected the ways that we operate our businesses. We are keeping you and all our first responders in our thoughts and prayers as we continue to watch these events unfold. SERVPRO is being called on by numerous business and community leaders to perform the necessary bio-remediation services to clean, disinfect, and sanitize their properties. All of our cleanup procedures are in accordance with the CDC, EPA and local authorities. The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line meet this standard and carry the EPA-registered emerging pathogens claims. To protect our customers and our employees, our technicians are required to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) when entering a customer’s home to provide services. This protocol is relevant for services on ALL types of losses: water, fire, smoke, contents, cleanup, etc. PPE may include the following:
- Respiratory protection / Masks
- Full Tyvek suits as needed
As an additional safety precaution, all equipment used is cleaned and decontaminated after EVERY job to help assure the equipment coming into your customer’s home is contaminant-free. We are here and ready to aid you in your time of need, providing these services so your facility can be cleaned and ready for business to resume. We are in this with you. I’m here for you, so feel free to email, or call us for more information. We are open 24 hours a day. Please continue to stay safe and maintain social distance as we all do our part to combat this and lessen the spread of this horrible virus. You are all in our prayers.
Sacramento Mold Removal
The best thing to do to avoid mold growth from roof leaks is to check the attic regularly for leaks and keep an eye on the ceiling below the attic.
It is important to know how mold occurs in a residence to avoid mold growth in your own home. Mold growth occurs indoors when mold spores are in the presence of a moisture.
Water damage is caused by a multitude of reasons including appliance leaks, toilet overflow, flooding, incorrectly installed windows, and broken water heater lines, just to name a few. And since mold spores are always present, if you don't remediate your water damage, mold growth will occur within 72 hours in the presence of moisture.
What Should I Know Before I Call a Professional?
You probably don't need to get mold testing! If you can see mold, you most likely don't need to spend money on testing, and it just needs to be removed. If mold is seen or smelled, there are potential health effects; therefore, no matter what type of mold is present, you should arrange for its removal.
Your homeowners insurance most likely will not cover damage. According to Insurance.com, policies usually don't cover mold resulting from a preventable water leak, flooding, or high humidity. This is because home insurance companies typically don't pay for maintenance issues they think a homeowner should have proactively taken care of.
The expense of mold removal can be costly--in some cases it can be over $1000. Although some mold professionals out there have exaggerated the work that needs to be done to drive up the price. If your quote seems unusually high, we recommend getting several quotes to compare. (However, if you get a quote that’s shockingly low, that’s also a big red flag. Companies that don’t do things properly are the only ones that can charge shockingly low prices.)
Sacramento Emergency Preparedness
Are you ready for whatever happens?
50% of businesses that experience a disaster, such as a fire or a flood, never reopen! An overwhelming majority of businesses that do survive, have a preparedness plan in place.
Are you ready for whatever happens?
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens.
The SERVPROEmergency READY Profile serves as a quick reference of important building and contact information or can be an ideal supplement to any well-designed emergency preparedness or existing contingency program. Rather than simply reacting to disaster situations, most prefer proactive measures to establish a relationship with a restoration services company.
The Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) is available on paper and on our app. When you have the app, SERVPRO Ready Plan, downloaded, you can access your ready plan data on your phone easily during an emergency.
By working with SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade to develop your personalized Emergency READY Profile your business will receive the benefit of over 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire damage response and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
Call SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden Arcade at 916-285-7257 today for a No Cost Assessment of your facility!