Apartment Building Cleanup
In an apartment community residence will share walls from the sides and from above and below. When a water damage occurs, it can get out of hand quickly, since a water damage can affect multiple residences. You can never know when an emergency will occur, but it’s in your best interest as a property manager to always be prepared for anything. Taking these measures by the American Apartment Owners Association can help you prevent damage in the future.
- Inspect the property regularly. It is important to ask about repair needs and to check out major systems on a regular basis. If the problem is caught early, then damage can be minimized or avoided.
Water causes millions of dollars to the rental industry each year. Landlords in updated buildings are seeing damage due to the use of materials that aren’t holding up as expected. Most of the water damage is due to faulty plumbing, which can cause secondary damage like mold and other costly repairs, so it is important to inspect regularly.
- By acting early when you receive a repair request, then it can help save you money and keep the property in good condition.
- Pay attention to utility spikes. Whether you pay the utilities, or your tenant complains about a sudden increase, take it seriously. It is a warning sign that something may be spilling out. It can even signal a drug manufacturing operation which one of most costly repair jobs you will ever encounter.
- Watch the weather. Storms cause significant property damage, and lately we’ve been seeing some monsters. Once the surge is over, check for roof damage, clogged gutters, and poor drainage that may leak into the foundation. The best time to repair old and damaged roofs is when it’s dry.
- Encourage tenants to carry renters insurance. The main benefit: they won’t ask you to reimburse them for damage. The indirect benefit is making tenants aware of just how much they stand to lose if they are careless and cause damage to the property.
In addition to following these steps, making an emergency readiness plan today can help you tomorrow. The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile serves as a quick reference of important building and contact information or can be an ideal supplement to any well-designed emergency preparedness or existing contingency program. Rather than simply reacting to disaster situations, most prefer proactive measures to establish a relationship with a restoration services company.