Disaster Restoration Contractors
This is a photo of the Carr Fire that our owner, Harold, took from outside of his hotel that he stayed in while aiding recovery of Carr Fire victims.
Redding recently saw one of the worst fires California ever has had, the Carr Fire. This fire burned from late July to early September, and destroyed over 200,000 acres, and over 1,000 homes. The Shasta and Trinity Counties are currently shaken, but finally safe after the fire has been extinguished. SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden Arcade is not new to disaster mitigation (last year we aided with recovery of the Tubbs Fire) and quickly drove up north to help with recovery efforts. The devastation was distinct with an intense amount of smoke damage to almost every home in the area.
We are happy to have been able to help with whatever we could to restore the area as best as we could, and took on many smoke damaged homes to restore.
If you would like to help the victims of the Carr Fire from home, please take the time to go to the following links:
- The Tri Counties Bank has set up a fund to help the victims of the Carr Fire. The bank made an initial deposit of $25,000 in the account, and the bank’s GoFundMe page for the fire fund has raised more than $75,000 since it opened on July 27. You can donate to the fund on GoFundMe, or at any Tri Counties Bank location.
- GoFundMe created a page with a list of more than 400 verified campaigns raising money for victims of the Carr Fire. The page includes large campaigns like the Tri Counties Bank campaign, as well as campaigns for individual families who have lost their homes. The campaigns listed on this page are all verified by GoFundMe, and more than $1 million has been raised so far through the various accounts.
- The Shasta Regional Community Foundation is accepting donations to their Community Disaster Relief Fund to help with short- and long-term support for Carr Fire victims. The fund was initially set up in 2014 to help victims of the Boles Fire in Weed, and the funds will be used for immediate relief for victims as well as for rebuilding and recovery efforts, according to the Foundation’s website.
- Those looking to help can donate and find volunteer opportunities through Recovers.org.The site has buttons to help you find where you can send supplies to help those displaced by the fire and also to connect you with organizations looking for volunteers.
- The Haven Humane Society is caring for many animals that have been evacuated or otherwise impacted by the fire. They have been posting on social media asking for pet food and supplies. They're also accepting monetary donations to help them care for the animals. You can donate online here.
- The American Red Cross is collecting donations to fund their disaster relief programs. Many of those evacuated in the Carr Fire have made their way to Red Cross shelters, and the Red Cross is collecting money to help them prepare for and respond to disasters. You can donate online, or you can text Red Cross to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
If your home or business has been affected a fire, please give us a call at 916-285-7257. We are always here to help.
Water Damage Mold
The best thing to do to avoid mold growth from roof leaks is to check the attic regularly for leaks and keep an eye on the ceiling below the attic.
It is important to know how mold occurs in a residence to avoid mold growth in your own home. Mold growth occurs indoors when mold spores are in the presence of a moisture.
Water damage is caused by a multitude of reasons including appliance leaks, toilet overflow, flooding, incorrectly installed windows, and broken water heater lines, just to name a few. And since mold spores are always present, if you don't remediate your water damage, mold growth will occur within 72 hours in the presence of moisture.
What Should I Know Before I Call a Professional?
You probably don't need to get mold testing! If you can see mold, you most likely don't need to spend money on testing, and it just needs to be removed. If mold is seen or smelled, there is a potential health risk; therefore, no matter what type of mold is present, you should arrange for its removal.
Your homeowners insurance most likely will not cover damage. According to Insurance.com, policies usually don't cover mold resulting from a preventable water leak, flooding, or high humidity. This is because home insurance companies typically don't pay for maintenance issues they think a homeowner should have proactively taken care of.
The expense of mold removal can be costly--in some cases it can be over $1000. Although some mold professionals out there have exaggerated the work that needs to be done to drive up the price. If your quote seems unusually high, we recommend getting several quotes to compare. (However, if you get a quote that’s shockingly low, that’s also a big red flag. Companies that don’t do things properly are the only ones that can charge shockingly low prices.)
Carpet Water Damage Restoration
You can see that our professionals have set several air movers along the sides of the wall and a large dehumidifier at the end of the hall.
Here at SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West-Arden Arcade, we use lots of different equipment and tools in order to properly remediate water damage done to carpets.
- Moisture detectors, hygrometers, and other meters measure the extent of moisture saturation.
- Infrared cameras may be used to find “hidden” water behind walls and ceilings.
- Submersible and gas-powered pumps are used for continuous pumping of high-level water.
- Truck-mounted and portable extraction units perform efficient water removal.
Our highly trained technicians will begin the water removal process almost as soon as they are on site. Depending on the amount of water, we may use powerful submersible pumps in addition to industrial strength, wet/dry vacuums and weighted extractors. Removing most of the water helps reduce drying time and helps prevent secondary water damage and mold and bacterial growth.
Our professionals will use room measurements, temperature, and relative humidity to determine the optimal number of air movers and dehumidifiers to dry your home or business. We’ll carefully monitor the progress using moisture meters until the materials return to acceptable drying goals.
Air movers are designed to circulate air around a room that is being dehumidified.
Dehumidifiers work by extracting the water out of the air.
When the dehumidified air is circulated in front of the wet surface, the water is able to evaporate easier.
If your carpet has been affected by water damage, give the pros a call at 916-285-7257! We would be happy to check it out for you.
Fire Damage Restoration
Map of California Fires as of August 6, 2018
Our team here at SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden Arcade wanted to take a minute to reflect on the multiple fires that are affecting the State of California. As of this last weekend, the Mendicino Complex Fire doubled in size and became the 2nd biggest fire in California's history. The Carr Fire, which has been burning since late July in Redding, has costed lives and thousands of homes, and still remains only 45% contained.
Our team is currently standing on call waiting for approval to start the cleanup of these smoke and fire damaged homes.
If you have been affected by the fires, here are some tips on what to do before help arrives:
- Limit movement in home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a professional can check the system.
What to NOT do when you have fire and smoke damage:
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture.
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to ire, heat, or water.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored closed to fire, heat, or water.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning will set in the smoke odor.
If you have fire damage, give us a call at 916-285-7257.
In this photo, water damage caused the carpet to become soaked. Air movers are circulating the dry air around and through the carpet to dry it fast.
Who says water damage doesn't happen in the summer? Our team here at SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West-Arden Arcade sees water damage year round, no matter the season! This is the simple reason for the fact that pipes burst, appliances break, and dishwashers overflow. Sometimes, when it doesn't rain, it really does pour anyway.
In the photo below, you can see a home that was damaged by a faulty air conditioning unit. The unit started leaking, causing water damage to the floor in front of the unit. You can see how the carpet has been lifted to place an air mover underneath the carpet. This allows for the best possible airflow and fastest drying time possible, so our customer can go back to having a dry home and a working air conditioner soon!
Have you experienced water damage in your home? Give us a call at 916-285-7257 and mention this article to get a no-cost assessment of your home!
Why Clean Air Ducts?
We clean ducts with the brand new state of the art PDC 4000 machine.
Air Duct cleaning can be an important way to improve the indoor air quality of your home or commercial building.
The National Air Duct Cleaning Association (NADCA) gives some basic information on their website:
In addition to normal accumulations of dust and dirt found in all homes with air ducts, there are several other factors that can increase the need for regular HVAC system cleaning:
Some occupants are more sensitive to these contaminants than others. Allergy and asthma sufferers, as well as young children and the elderly tend to be more susceptible to the types of poor indoor air quality that air duct cleaning can help address.
Avoid the Scams:
Air Duct cleaning should be done by professional with professional equipment. NADCA also gives some great tips on preventing yourself from being scammed by poor air duct cleaning.
If you would like to discuss having your ducts cleaned, give SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade a call at 916-285-7257.
Moisture Control is the Key to Mold Control
This picture shows how to source contain visible mold at the bottom of a wall until it can be removed.
Today we would like to share some Mold control tips shared by the EPA website. We have reviewed these tips and we agree that they are very helpful.
Setting up drying equipment for a flooded Commercial Building
Here at SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden-Arcade, we offer a number of commercial restoration services. We thought it would be nice to cover those briefly:
You can have fire or water damage in any kind of structure. We understand the complexities what go along with different buildings. Every different commercial structure brings a different challenge.
SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden-Arcade is ready to respond immediately and work quickly to clean or restore your business. We understand that your property’s appearance is important and that every hour spent restoring is an hour of lost productivity. When you need a restoration or cleaning professional, SERVPRO of East Sacramento / West Arden-Arcade has the training and expertise to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
If your commercial building needs assistance, please give us a call at 916-285-7257.
What to Do When Your Home Has Fire and Smoke Damage
This is a photo of a fire loss in Sacramento. Notice the extensive amounts of soot on the walls.
In a home that has fire and smoke damage, recovery may seem like an insurmountable task. The damage could be extensive, affecting every part of your home. It is important to take these steps when faced with a fire loss to prevent secondary damage. Normal cleaning procedures can increase damage and cause the smoke smell and soot to set into your items. Let SERVPRO of East Sacramento take care of you. Our technicians are IICRC Certified in dealing with fire damages to help restore your home to its preloss condition.
What to do if your home has fire and smoke damage:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil our home.
- Place dry towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and high traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odors.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- Wash both sides of leaves on house plants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of HVAC system.
What NOT to do if your home has fire and smoke damage:
- Attempt to wash walls or painted surfaces without first contacting a professional.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first contacting a professional.
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat, or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat, or water, as they may have been contaminated.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
If you have been affected by fire damage, let the pros take care of it for you. Give SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden Arcade a call at 916-285-7257 to get an estimate today. We are always here to help.
Minimizing Damage in Apartment Residences
This photo shows water damage to the hallway of an apartment building.
In an apartment community residence will share walls from the sides and from above and below. When a water damage occurs, it can get out of hand quickly, since a water damage can affect multiple residences. You can never know when an emergency will occur, but it’s in your best interest as a property manager to always be prepared for anything. Taking these measures by the American Apartment Owners Association can help you prevent damage in the future.
- Inspect the property regularly. It is important to ask about repair needs and to check out major systems on a regular basis. If the problem is caught early, then damage can be minimized or avoided.
Water causes millions of dollars to the rental industry each year. Landlords in updated buildings are seeing damage due to the use of materials that aren’t holding up as expected. Most of the water damage is due to faulty plumbing, which can cause secondary damage like mold and other costly repairs, so it is important to inspect regularly.
- By acting early when you receive a repair request, then it can help save you money and keep the property in good condition.
- Pay attention to utility spikes. Whether you pay the utilities, or your tenant complains about a sudden increase, take it seriously. It is a warning sign that something may be spilling out. It can even signal a drug manufacturing operation which one of most costly repair jobs you will ever encounter.
- Watch the weather. Storms cause significant property damage, and lately we’ve been seeing some monsters. Once the surge is over, check for roof damage, clogged gutters, and poor drainage that may leak into the foundation. The best time to repair old and damaged roofs is when it’s dry.
- Encourage tenants to carry renters insurance. The main benefit: they won’t ask you to reimburse them for damage. The indirect benefit is making tenants aware of just how much they stand to lose if they are careless and cause damage to the property.
In addition to following these steps, making an emergency readiness plan today can help you tomorrow. The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile serves as a quick reference of important building and contact information or can be an ideal supplement to any well-designed emergency preparedness or existing contingency program. Rather than simply reacting to disaster situations, most prefer proactive measures to establish a relationship with a restoration services company.
Call SERVPRO of East Sacramento/West Arden Arcade at 916-285-7257 today for a No Cost Assessment of your facility!